Thursday, July 14, 2011

Room Two: The Dining room.

(Excerpt from My Heart-Christ's Home by Robert Boyd Munger)


"From the study we went into the dining room, the room of appetites and desires. Now this was a large room, a most important place to me. I spend a lot of time and hard work trying to satisfy all my wants.
I told him "This is a favorite room. I'm sure you will be pleased with what we serve here."
He seated himself at the table and inquired, "what is on the menu for dinner tonight?"
Well, " I said, "my favorite dishes: money, academic degrees, stocks, with newspaper articles or fame and fortune as side dishes." There were the things I liked, thoroughly secular far.e. There was nothing so very bad in any of them, but it was not really the kind of food which would feed the soul and satisfy true spiritual hunger.
When the plates were placed before my new friend, he said nothing. However, I observed that he did not eat. I asked, somewhat disturbed, "Savior, don't you like this food? What is the trouble?"
He answered, "I have food to eat you do not know of. My food is to do the will of him that sent me. " He looked at me again and said. " If you want food that really satisfies you, do the will of your heavenly Father. Put his pleasure before your own. Stop striving for your own desire, your won ambitions, your won satisfactions. Seek to please him. That food will really satisfy you. Try a bit of it!"
And there about the table he gave me a taste of doing God's will. What flavor! There is no food like it in all the world. It alone satisfies. At the end everything else leaves you hungry. What's the menu in the dining room of our desires? What kind of food are we serving our divine companion and serving ourselves? All that the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the pride of life. (1 Jn 2:16) our self-centered wants? Or are we finding God's will to be our soul-satisfying meat and drink?"

0 comments: