Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The story...

Well while I have a minute, and I do mean a minute here is a recap of what happened on the wonderful day. Warning, it is a little long.

I was scheduled to be induced at 5am on Friday. We were so excited. Henry stayed at Kyles parents house and we cleaned the house and went to bed early. At that point in my pregnancy sleep had been out of the question for a while. But I did my best to rest and woke up and couldn't lay there anymore around 4. So I got up, made sure everything was ready, and balanced the check book. So the Dr. told me to call the hospital at 5am and they would tell me what to do. Well, I had no idea of the reality of what that meant. So, I hurriedly called Baptist, anticipating being in labor by 7am. Well, all the nurse told me what that I was on hold and that they would call me when they were ready for me to come in. I was so disappointed. Plus, I had no idea what "on hold" meant and the nurse was kinda in a hurry so I didn't ask any questions. I was so upset. So I went back a laid down for oh... a second. Then got up because there was no way I could even rest at this point.

What did I do? I made pancakes. What can I say, cooking calms me:) So Kyle and I had a great breakfast, still no call. Then I got ready. Did my hair and makeup (Hey when things are planned like this you have time to get presentable) and got dressed. Still nothing. So I was getting a bit antsy (to say the least) and call up there again to ask what on hold meant. They explained that they were slammed and that every room they had was full. Tons and tons of mamas had gone into labor that day. So I was on hold until a bed came open. Great.

Well when we heard it could be a while (at this point I still thought a while cold be around 12) we decided we couldn't wait around the house and go crazy so we went to Kyles parents to spend some more time with Henry.

To make this part shorter than it really was my afternoon was filled with lots of calling my Dr. and the hospital and being very frustrated. I didn't even know if I was going to make it in there that day and that really made me mad. So needless to say I was grumpy. Around 7:15pm we decided it was time to go home. The dogs needed fed and if they were to call in the middle of the night we wanted to be rested. So we were saying goodbye and getting in the car when my phone rang.

Now, let me say that when you are waiting on a call and everyone and their brother is calling you wondering if you had the baby yet, it can get rather upsetting. But when I picked up the phone it said Baptist and my heart leaped. I still thought that maybe they were calling to cancel my induction all together but I was hopeful. The nurse ask if I was ready to have a baby and I said oh yes!!! But we had to got feed the dogs. So 45 minutes later we pulled into the parking lot of Baptist East. It is our home away from home:)

Went followed those step we took only 15 months ago.(minus me being in the middle of a very long labor and in a lot of pain) Up to the desk to check in. While we were standing there the nurses at the nursing station looked up when they heard my name and were like "you finally made it!" lol they knew me because I only called up there like a million times that day. I was persistent but hey not rude:)

We were taken to our room and we got ready for everything to happen. I should say that the room was very nice and the nurses even nicer. I noticed things this time last time I did not because I was not breathing through heavy contractions this time around. Kinda nice.
Anyway, they got me all set up and the IV started. At first I was worried that the Pitocin wouldn't work on me. :) Well I was wrong and my contractions started almost immediately. Not painful I could just feel my feel my belly getting hard and by watching the monitor. But they started two minutes apart right away and then I knew it was working. And from about 9pm when it all got started and 11 they were starting to get really painful. I was surprised about how fast it happened.

I was breathing through them pretty well and thought that I was doing good. You know compared to last time it just didn't seem as intense. But I also had been in labor for over 20 hours and awake for 48 hours last time so everything seems really painful and horrible.
Anyway, so we watched TV and talked. And then we tried to get some rest. Yeah right. There is just no good way to get comfy when you are laying on a hospital bed having contractions every two minutes. And poor Kyle. All he had were two very uncomfortable chairs that didn't lay all the way back and weren't very cushy. So there I was trying to decide what to do. I didn't think I was in quite enough pain to ask for a epidural (yeah right!!) so I just laid there wanting so bad to close my eyes. Well finally Kyle sat up and was like "what to do you want to do?" and I knew he was talking about meds. So at that moment I called in the nurse and told her that I needed an epidural. She said that the Dr. just went into another room and he would be just a few minutes. So I waited. Finally he came in and got me all set up. I must say this time it was way worse. My back was really tense (from carrying around my belly and my 15 month old) and he had to try 5 times to get the epidural in my back. Ouch!! I hurt sooo bad. BUT... after that it was heaven. :) And I passed out. The nurse was sweet enough to go to the other rooms and find a more comfy chair for Kyle. One that laid all the way down so he could stretch out and sleep. And sleep we did. For about two hours. At the time I got the epidural, I was 4cm and still kinda thick. I woke up and knew no nurse had been in recently but my IV bag had run out and it was beeping this ridiculous beep. It was sooo annoying. I tried to call for a nurse but did see one for at least ten more minutes. That is a long time when you are listening to the annoying beep that machine was making.

Meanwhile, I had noticed that something felt a little strange down there. I didn't know what and I wasn't' about to stick my hand down there to find out. I thought, maybe, my water had broken. So when the nurse finally came in, I told her. So she looked and sure enough it had. Yay!!! It had done it all by itself. So then she checked me and sure enough I was 10cm and fully afaced. I couldn't believe it. In two hours I went from 4 to 10!!!
The nurse called Dr. Nett and she was at home in the shower so we waited while everything was set up in the room. She arrived and it was time to push!! And I pushed, first contraction, first push and her head was out. I couldn't believe it when they said that. And second push and there she was. I was in shock. I looked at Kyle and he was too. I mean in a minute we went from getting ready to start pushing to a little baby girl in front of us. Oh it was amazing! She was covered in a white waxy stuff call vernx(not sure of spelling) and Henry didn't hardly have any so it looked a little different this time. But they put her on my belly and she was just perfect. They cleaned her up and started cleaning me up. When they gave her to Kyle it was just so sweet. It is so amazing watch him with a little girl. So different then a little boy. You couldn't just hear him telling her how pretty and beautiful she was. It makes me cry now just thinking about it. It was the best.
Wow now I'm going to wrap this up because it is wayyyyy to long. Sorry. But she was soo healthy and so perfect. God does great things, but I can't imagine witnessing a miracle much more powerful than the miracle of life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The story is wonderful...I am so glad I was part of it all. I have enjoyed so much being with you this week and loving on Mr. Henry, I have missed him so much since Monday! Hope you sleep good tonight. See you tomorrow ! HUGS AND KISSES!
Mom

Anonymous said...

The story was just perfect, Jen. You made me feel like I was right there with you and Kyle. Lily is so beautiful. Armour girls are always beautiful. :) I hope things are going good for you all. I'm sure Henry loves her.
Enjoy every minute.

I love you guys.
Cindy Armour